Like the focused read-through discussed last week, try reading the entire manuscript with only one element in mind.
But this time, use a highlighter each and every time you find one of the following:
- Interior monologue (Too much? Slows pacing.)
- Dialogue tags (Overused?)
- Dialogue beats (Have you used the same ones too often?)
- Words you know you tend to overuse
- Any emotions mentioned (e.g., Sarah felt sad. John was surprised. Amanda was furious.)
- All -ly adverbs (Can you replace with stronger verbs?)
Obviously, you will need to use a different color for each item.
This will give you an immediate visual image and give your revision FOCUS.