Saturday, September 7, 2013

7 Opinions


7 Opinions on September 7 about Counting by 7s
by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

  1. This is the best book I've read in a long, long time.
  2. This book should have been marketed as YA.
  3. I hope this becomes a crossover book because I am certain teens and adults will love it.
  4. Too mature for Newbery (but certainly worthy). *ducks behind umbrella to fend off rotten tomatoes hurled my way* (see note below)
  5. Brilliant writing. 
  6. You should read it.
  7. You should read it.
  8.  
    Note: I don't think the subject matter is too mature for Newbery. I think the overall tone and the writing are too mature. Just my opinion.
 

3 comments:

Augusta Scattergood said...

Great minds, or at least like minds, thinking alike this morn.

I, too, was trying to write about Counting by 7s, which I too love.

The publisher says the book is for "10 and up" which I guess can be older Middle Grade or younger YA. One of the things I have from the book's publicist says the author maintains a "depth of emotion that will appeal to adults."

I think you nailed it. Such great writing, a book for many readers.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Just waiting for my copy to get here.. . Very interested to read it since its about an Asperger kid. Loved your review, too! :-)

proseandkahn said...

I disagree. 10 & up seems about right to me and I hope the Newbery committee is bringing this one to the table. I work in a 5 - 8th grade middle school and plan on booktalking it all over the place. I do think it will find its readership in 5th & 6th grades. Marketing a book as YA with a 12 yo protagonist is tricky. Not to say the 7th and 8th graders won't. There are plenty who are not looking for edgy just yet. I sent an email to the LA teachers suggesting they consider this book when teaching voice.

The writing is unique but I don't think my readers will have trouble with it. I think it reflects Willow's unique thought patterns and I think every kid knows a Willow.

I agree with everything else;-)

brenda