Monday, August 15, 2011

If you're feeling charitable

This is a wonderful organization that helps schools, students, and teachers with much needed items.

I just made a donation to help rebuild the schools destroyed by the tornado in Joplin, Missouri.

From the website:

"On May 22, 2011, the town of Joplin, Missouri was hit by an EF5 tornado. The entire school was ruined. Ninety percent of our students lost their homes. The kids need something to look forward to and to make their lives feel normal again."

I was introduced to this organization when a school asked for donations to buy a classroom set of one of my books.

Here is part of the letter I received from the teacher after I donated:

These new books have meant so much to my students and to myself, and this donation has really gotten the school talking, now other teachers are posting projects left and right, which is wonderful for our budget restricted school! I now have a group of eager third graders coming to me next year, and many of them have come by my room to tell me how excited they are to read all of our new books, I know we have a year of wonderful memories to make together and for many classes to come after them. This year I'm going to try and implement literature circles and more discussion groups with the students now that we have enough copies for every child! Thank you so much for your generous gift and kindness, I can never repay you enough.

To paraphrase a line from How to Steal a Dog, "Sometimes the trail you leave behind you, is more important than the path ahead of you." All of you wonderful donors have surely left a beautiful and thoughtful trail behind you and more. Myself, twenty five little kids and many more to come, have been left with an impression that will last a lifetime! Thank you!

You can donate ANY amount.

Go on over and take a look.

Donorschoose.org

No comments: