Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hound Dog True by Linda Urban

How many ways did I love this book?

As I used to say as a kid, "Every which-a-way."



Here is just a smattering of sentences I loved. (And that's a good word: smattering.)

One teacher--a man--wears flip-flops. He has hair on his toes. Mattie is glad she will not be in his class. Seems wrong to know your teacher has hair on his toes.

Mattie feels herself blush. She's not sure what a hernia is, but it seems like if you had one, you wouldn't want people knowing about it. Like warts or a bad report card.

Quincy had a way of talking--flat and dull, like stones dropping
plunk, plunk in a puddle.

Mattie feels whatever brave she had sliding out the bottom of her shoes.

Kisses Mattie on the top of her head, drops his hat over the kiss spot. It feels good. Like having a Band-Aid on a paper cut.


There are lots of other sentences in Hound Dog True by Linda Urban.

Go read them.

6 comments:

lucie1067 said...

She does paint some great word-pictures, just like another children's writer: Barbara something -- I think it's O'Connor. ;)

Barbara O'Connor said...

Aw. Thanks.

lucie1067 said...

Seriously, if you ever decide you want to mentor, sign me up.

Barbara O'Connor said...

Thank you for that vote of confidence. If my plate weren't so full already, I'd be honored. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am Skyler the one who skyped with you i did not get to go up and say hi and ask my thing i wanted to say so here is the thing i wanted to ask you Did You get the name of the book Beethoven in Paridise from Turtle in Paridise PLEASE RESPOND

Barbara O'Connor said...

Hi Skyler. No, I wrote Beethoven in Paradise quite a few years before Turtle in Paradise.