Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My cheatin' heart

Okay, I'm cheating.

I'm resurrecting an old blog post series called Writing Tip Tuesday

It's been quite a few years since I wrote them and it never hurts to be reminded. Right? 

So - here is a post from February 2009:

Nobles' Book of Writing Blunders

I've been reading Nobles' Book of Writing Blunders by William
Noble and making a list of all the blunders I make.


Here's one:


Blunder #13: Don't add adverbs and adjectives to prettify your prose.


My first thought was: Oh, I never do that.


But then I read this:


The key is, adjectives should be used only when they highlight something the noun can't highlight.
For example: He slipped into the darkened alley.
Not all alleys are dark, so now you know this one will be.


But suppose this had read: He slipped into the narrow alley.
Alleys are usually narrow (if they aren't narrow, they're called streets or roads), so the adjective isn't telling any more than is offered by the noun. This is "prettifying" the prose, and it isn't pretty at all.


And that got me to thinking that I am guilty of that blunder from time to time.


Because I'm all about the rhythm of writing, I am guilty of inserting an adjective for the sake of rhythm and maybe doing more "prettifying" than I should.


Oh, how my blunder list continues to grow....


But THEN, the very next thing that happened was that I was reading an article about Emma Thompson in More Magazine.


And guess what?


The second sentence in that article was this:


"I had my heart broken there," she says as she strides down the narrow alley beside the tavern.


Ha! What are the odds?


So, that got me to thinking.....maybe prettifying your writing isn't such a blunder, after all.


I mean, maybe those extra adjectives serve to enhance the image, contribute to the rhythm, or just simply sound nice.


Is that really a blunder?


[Note: I realize that there is not one thing useful about this supposed tip. Consider it merely food for thought.]

2 comments:

Kirby Larson said...

You can cheat all you want. I love learning about your writing process thoughts.

Sharon Creech said...

Good food for thought tho.