Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Such an honor



At the Georgia Children's Literature Conference I just attended, a group of students from Freedom to Grow UNschool (ages 6-12) presented a program called If You Give a Kid a Book by Barbara O'Connor!

They discussed their experiences studying my books, shared insights they gained from the books and suggestions for teachers interested in pursuing an author study in their classrooms. 

How cool is THAT!?

Here are some of their projects and activities:















I had Skyped with the students prior to the conference, but then I got to meet them in person. 

Here are some words I would use to describe them: smart, friendly, polite, funny, fun, enthusiastic, personable, and adorable.

Some of the students with teacher, Lora Smothers

More students

Thank you to the students and faculty of Freedom to Grow UNschool for that wonderful honor.

5 comments:

Mir said...

I happen to be the proud mama of one of those kiddos, and I have to tell you that getting to talk with you -- and then meet you -- was one of the highlights of his year. I love that you were gracious and generous enough to make time for our kids! It sounds like it was a wonderful experience for everyone involved.

Thank you so much. :)

Barbara O'Connor said...

You SHOULD be proud. Those kids are great. Good job!

Ellie Powell said...

My brother is one of the kids from Freedom To Grow, and he talked about you nonstop. I kept thinking that you're name sounded quite familiar. Then, a few days ago, it hit me; you wrote one of the books for the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl/Georgia Book Award Nominee books for a contest that I have been participating in since December! My teams knowledge of your book (among others) led us to winning the state championship! I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your book The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester (and look forward to reading all of your other books in the next few weeks) and thank you for being one of the high points in my brothers year.

Grier Jewell said...

"Smart, friendly, polite, funny, fun, enthusiastic, personable, and adorable." Sounds like you met your match!

Barbara O'Connor said...

Thank you for sharing that, Ellie! And congratulations on winning the state championship!