Thursday, May 30, 2013

Things I Love Thursday

I love getting letters like this:

Dear Mrs. O'Connor,

 Hello, I'm a fifteen year old freshman living in land-locked Indiana and I am in love with your novel "Moonpie and Ivy". This book really inspired me. The setting is a place I can relate to, the land set up is similar to my grandparents. I first read that book at my grandparents when I was in fifth grade. I saved money just to buy this book. Every year since, I have read it during the summer or whenever I need an escape. I also love the attachment Pearl has to her aunt who becomes a mother figure almost, because Ruby is off who knows where. 

Now the reason I am writing this is because I am trying to write a novel myself but don't quite know where to start. I have ideas but they never seem to last or take off from the ground. Recently I have been writing a journal and keeping notes on things I see, hear, and experience. How did you get inspired to write "Moonpie and Ivy"? How do you get an idea to take flight and actually become something? What tips do you have for an author to be? Anything helps.


1 comment:

Michelle Cusolito said...

I think this author is doing all the right things. Keep journaling, noticing, asking questions, pondering...eventually a story will emerge. Oh.. and keep reading lots of wonderful books to inspire you!