Thursday, January 12, 2012

Things I Love Thursday



This tiny china dog.



When I was a little girl, a visit to my grandmother's house was a mysterious adventure.

She lived in a tiny, dark, low-ceiling-ed house set way back in the woods, at the end of a long, long dirt driveway. (I know I need an editor for that sentence.)

Geese and turkeys waddled around the yard.

Inside, a stuffed fox stood on a table behind the couch. His orange glass eyes followed me around the room.

My grandfather owned a small general store. There was a candy display in the dining room! Can you imagine being a 7-year-old girl with a candy display in your grandparent's dining room? Life savers and Zero candy bars and PayDays and Turkish taffy.

In one corner of the room was a small, round, three-tiered table. On each layer there were china figurines.

Ladies with parasols.

Leprechauns doing somersaults.

Horses prancing.

And that little china dog.

He was my favorite and I played with him for hours. (Thus, his chipped ear....)

I still love him.

2 comments:

Augusta Scattergood said...

My grandmother always had a candy dish filled with "silver bells."
I am still partial to Hershey's kisses, especially now that they make the dark chocolate kind, which are of course very healthy. (Sentence also in need of an editor...)

Kirby Larson said...

PayDays! My favorite!!! I wasn't quite as lucky as you but my grandparents lived one short block away from Lee's Grocery, which was in the front of Mrs. Lee's house and my grandpa always seemed to have a nickel that he needed to get rid of so I spent many hours in heavenly indecision in front of Mrs. Lee's candy display.