Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The real world

I finally got to meet Dr. Dorothy Bowen in real life.

Dorothy teaches children's literature at Eastern Kentucky University.

She's invited me to participate in an online chat with her students for several years now. It's great to chat with teachers (Dorothy's students) and hear about their classroom experiences and how they use my books with their students.

I felt like I knew Dorothy, even though we had never met.

But last week she came to Boston for a conference.


We had a great time chatting about children's literature, as well as her fascinating life as a missionary in Africa for many (30 something) years.

Now when I chat with Dorothy online, I will be able to see her face and hear her voice.

It's so much better having a friend in the real world than just in the cyberworld.

No comments: