Monday, September 5, 2011

Fond memories of Kezi Matthews


I recently learned that children's author, Kezi Matthews, passed away back in 2010.

Kezi wrote a number of wonderful books, including Flying Lessons and John Riley's Daughter.

But what is particularly special to me about Kezi is that she was once on a writers' message board that I participated in. Once, during a lively discussion that was getting out of hand, she commented that her grandfather used to say:

Sometimes, the more you stir it the worse it stinks.

For those of you familiar with my book, How to Steal a Dog, you might recognize that as an important motto used in the story and quoted by the character of Mookie.

I loved that motto so much. I had written to Kezi and asked permission to use it, which she granted me, of course.

I sent her a copy of the book as a thank you.

Thanks, Kezi.


16 comments:

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

I love this story. Kezi was such a wonderful person. We used to exchange recipes and then her email disappeared and I've been wondering where she went for ages. I wish we could have had more books from her, I loved them. What a special person and a sad loss.

Anonymous said...

LOVE HOW TO STEAL A DOG AWESOME BOOK GREAT WILLY MY TEACHER READ IT TO THE CLASS AND WE FINISHED IT TODAY LOVE IT
LOVE THE END

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your book How to Steal a Dog. One question. What was your favorite book to write?

Barbara O'Connor said...

I enjoyed them all!

Anonymous said...

I love How to steal a dog my teacher is reading it
we are at the last chapter.
how do you think of the charters in your book?

Anonymous said...

Great writing I love this good hook

THE DAY I DECIDED TO STEAL A DOG WAS THE DAY MY BEST FREIND LOUINE GODFREY FOUND OUT I LIVE IN A DOG.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR BOOK IT IS SOOOOOO AWESOME WHERE DID YOU GET ALL OF YOUR IDEAS? DID YOU EVER MEET ANYBODY NAMED GEORGINA, TOBY OR MOOKIE? PLEASE COMMENYT BACK. :)

Anonymous said...

What is your favorite book?
we our from the Kinkaid school
where do you live?

Anonymous said...

WE ALL LOVE HOW TO STEAL A DOG

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. O'Conner,
Did you ever meet a dog named Willy? There are lots of books of yours that I really want to read one of them is
The Adventures of Popey and Elvis. How did you get that idea? Please write back!

Anonymous said...

how to steal a dog is one of my favorite books. Carmela was very understanding and would not be mean to Georgina your characters were very reasonable and gentle with each other. I love the book HOW TO STEAL A DOG!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

HOW TO STEAL A DOG IS THE BEST BOOK IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love how to steal a dog so how do you get your ideas?

Anonymous said...

I love your book How to Steal a Dog it is awesome

Anonymous said...

what's your favorite book you didn't write .

Barbara O'Connor said...

Missing May by Cynthia Rylant