Thursday, October 27, 2011

Things I Love Thursday

I have a box of letters my father wrote home to his parents during World War II.

I treasure all of them.

But here is my favorite (translation below pics):



It says:

Dear Dad,


I guess you are getting to think I am nothing but a spend thrift. I guess I did spend money.

I had better fess up and tell you the truth and quit beating around the bush. You already know how I made all that money I sent home. I won it gambling and I also lost all I had this month, which was only about $25.


I am going to quit gambling or I won't have any money in the bank. By now you should know I am building you up for something so here goes.

I am flat broke. Go ahead and give me a good kick where it will do the most good.

If possible (don't send your money, but mine) send me $30 by wire or air mail and I promise that I won't gamble anymore. I have learnt my lesson.

Don't tell Mom.

Also tell me how much I have in the bank. Mom said that she sold my car. How much did she get?

Well, that is enough of my troubles. Hope you are doing a better job at saving than I am.

I hope to get Harriet an engagement ring in Sept, for some day I hope to get married. Don't tell Mother that, at least for a while.

Well, be good.

Remember I will never gamble any more.

Your bad boy,
Bill


Here is Bad Boy Bill and Harriet (my mother):


1 comment:

Stephanie J. Blake said...

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.