Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The devil is in the details

Speaking of copyediting (see post below), it's an interesting, sometimes frustrating, always important part of the process. The big picture stuff is done - the story is finally in place - and now it's time to pass the baton from editor to copyeditor - to put the final polish on the manuscript.

It never ceases to amaze me how I can read a manuscript 284 times and still miss things that seem so obvious when pointed out.

page 86: Willow looked down at Aggie's canvas sneakers. They were wet and muddy. One of them had a frayed hole in the side and Aggie's little toe poked out.

page 189: Then she put on her canvas sneakers with the holes in the side....

Copyeditor: So, which is it? One hole or more than one hole?

My thoughts: #@*%&

My words: Gee, good catch. Let me go back and fix that.

page 7: Then she moved on to pondering how she was going to fix that clogged drain in Room 4.

page 119: When Loretta's father finished fixing the clogged sink in Room 4...

Copyeditor: So, do you want to use "drain" or "sink"? They should probably be consistent.

My thoughts: #@*%&

My words: Gee, good catch. Let me go back and fix that.

How does she DO that? She is a genius.

It's those little, little details that put the final polish on. Lucky, lucky me to have such a fine polisher.

The devil is in the details.

No comments: