Monday, June 30, 2008

Writing process

I'm always intrigued when writers talk about their "process" - because, to be honest, I'm not really sure what the heck that means - particularly when it relates to my own writing.

But I think this comes under the heading of "process":

Every time I finish a book, I ALWAYS have a feeling of panic.

My thoughts = I will never have another idea for a book.

Ever.

But then some miracle occurs....

.... and another book happens.

But I've just wrapped up The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis (due Fall 09) and...

I've been thinking: I will never have another idea for a book...

AND....

Nothing is happening.

Nothing.

Yet.

So here's where process comes in - for me, a book starts first with a really really really really really hazy thought/image/character/phrase/place....whatever. [Note: Notice I didn't include PLOT, Sarah?]

That really really really really really hazy thought/image/character/phrase/place percolates for a while.

And eventually....

...it grows - and becomes less hazy until....

It becomes clear and I'm off and writing - and that really really really really really hazy thought/image/character/phrase/place turns into a book.

Sometimes this hazy part of the "process" is fun.

But sometimes it's not fun.....

Like this time - because it's taking longer than usual to become clear.

What if I never have another idea?

What if I'm never able to write another book?

Maybe I better go check out the Want Ads.....

2 comments:

Sarah Miller said...

Well gosh, if you're not busy right now... ;)

Unknown said...

So the rest of us, who do not claim to be writers, can claim to be 'hazy's'..... I kinda like that! LOL

www.debrennersmith.com

I hazy for a few years between books.

Hmmmmmm I write frequently, I just don't publish frequently.