Monday, November 30, 2009

Looking for Denise

I recently took part in an author blogging panel at the NCTE conference. One of the things we discussed was teachers helping students with letter-writing and email etiquette when contacting authors.

I wish I had remembered to point out something that happens frequently: students not putting their return address on their letters. Often, a student will only put a scribbled (and sometimes illegible) return address on the envelope.

I try to be careful but from time to time, the letter gets separated from the envelope.

I hate thinking there is a student out their somewhere waiting for a letter from me and is disappointed when it doesn't come.

Notice to any teachers reading this blog:

There is a 10-year-old girl out there right now waiting to hear from me.


If your class recently read Dear Mr. Henshaw and was assigned to write to an author - and you have a student named Denise C., will you please email me at barbaraoconnor at mac dot com?

Note to Denise, wherever you are: I'm sorry! I wrote you a letter but I have no address.

No comments: