Saturday, December 8, 2007

Taking me back

You know how there are some things that you see or hear that take you back to your childhood?

Like, when you can almost feel exactly the way you felt when you were little - or you have a completely vivid memory of a moment in time....

This is one of those things that does it for me - a celluloid Christmas decoration that belonged to my grandmother.

Every time I look at it, I am instantly six again.

I can remember every detail of my grandmother's house, from the pattern on the carpet to the echoing sound her shoes made on the wood floor in the hallway.

I can feel my newly washed hair set in those weird little bobbypin pincurls.

I can hear the Lennon sisters singing Christmas carols on the Lawrence Welk Show.

And, boy, can I taste those homemade Christmas cookies....

Oh, to be six again.....

No comments: