Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reading Meme Thingamabob

I've been tagged by Sarah, the Empress of the Universe.

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

Feed.

I know, I know.....but I just can't wrap my head or heart around that genre. I'm a realistic fiction kinda gal.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

Cletus (from Missing May) - because how can you not love Cletus?
Moxy Maxwell (Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little) - because how can you not love Moxy Maxwell?
Shiloh - because you know what a sap I am for dogs....

The event? Hmmm - how about a long walk in the woods? (I know, I know...but my clubbing days are over. Besides, you can't take a dog in a night club.)

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

I'm going to heaven with Sarah: Ulysses

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?

The Bible. (Everyone thinks I'm so saintly - but I've got em fooled.)
Pride and Prejudice.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book?

I can't say that I've thought I have read a book - but there have been times when I've thought I haven't read a book, then started reading it and had that deja vu thing going on - because I'd already read it. That just happened to me with I Am One of You Forever by Fred Chappell.

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (if you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP)

Something fun and kind of quirky - maybe A Prayer for Owen Meany (Irving) or Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (Robbins) - or maybe some Kurt Vonnegut.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

Spanish. (kind of a boring answer, huh?)

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

The Liar's Club by Mary Karr

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

I've definitely been turned on to new books that I might not otherwise have paid attention to. I don't blog as much about books as I do about writing, so I've learned more about that - expressing various stages of one's writing process.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favorite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

I prefer hardbound over paperback, for sure. And lots of em, of course. But the MAIN thing I would want is lots of great ambience: big overstuffed chairs (maybe leather - with ottomans), cozy groupings of sofas and chairs and tables (piled with magazines), and a fireplace, for sure. And really nice lamps that let off a warm glow - I love that. Very low classical music would be nice (a little Yo Yo Ma playing Bach). And since we're dreaming, how about a butler walking around with a silver tray offering little crystal glasses of port. I'd never go home!

I tag:

Kim
Sara
Megan
Kimberley
Jennifer

8 comments:

Megan Germano said...

Oh man, this one looks like a lot of thinking... But I like that. I just might not get to it for awhile. My thinking is on overload right now.

Barbara O'Connor said...

I know the feeling, Megan!

Sara said...

I second that. But I loved hearing your answers, and they ARE such great questions...

I'll have to let this percolate a while...

Barbara O'Connor said...

Not to worry, Sara - no pressure here....

Sarah Miller said...

Empress of the UNIVERSE? Wow. I guess I ought to start doing something for the good of my subjects! Suggestions?

Eva said...

It was fun reading your answers! (I'm the one who came up with the meme)

I think Spanish would be great to know-you'd have Marquez and Allende and Borges and Reverte-Perez and...ok, I'll stop. :)

BTW, if you'd like to be entered in a drawing for an ARC of The House at Riverton, just add a link back to my blog (http://astripedarmchair.wordpress.com)!

Barbara O'Connor said...

Yes, Sarah, you really should start doing something for the good of your subjects. You can start with my monthly check - and keep em coming....

Eva: thanks, I'll check out the blog!

Jennifer Thermes said...

Oh, fun, Barbara-- I'll play! Think I'll take the weekend to reflect.

And Eva's right- there's so much amazing Spanish language literature. Not a boring answer at all!