Thursday, July 24, 2008

Back in the saddle

I've been thinking lately about critique - that oh-so-delicate part of writing.

You may receive it from a friend, a fellow writer, or an editor.

Naturally, we all like to hear what others love about our work.

But the point of critique is to hear what others don't love about our work.

What's missing?

What's confusing?

What's too slow? Too boring? Too long?

Etc.

I have experienced - and witnessed - a critique knocking you out of the saddle and causing you to get off track - to lose your way - to lose your vision - or, worst of all, to lose your voice.

Over the years, I've learned how to get back in the saddle:

I follow my instincts.

Always.

It's important to listen to feedback from trusted and respected readers.

But it's also important to know how to use that feedback without sacrificing your creation.

So in addition to listening to trusted and respected readers....

....listen to yourself.

1 comment:

Jennifer Thermes said...

Hi Barbara-- Good advice, as always,

I have an award for you over at my blog. :-)