Friday, June 8, 2007

Roadtrip Part 2

Food...glorious food! Isn't it amazing how certain foods take us back to our childhood? My recent roadtrip thru parts of the South was a real culinary walk down memory lane. (I grew up in the South.)

I love these. You can get them at every convenience store in the South. I can't find them where I live now.










We ate in lots of places like this one in Alabama:









The waitress tried to explain what a barbecue baked potato was. She said it had "them itty bitty green things" on it. Those were chives. It also had cheese and barbecue sauce.

I drank lots and lots and lots of sweet tea. I love it. My husband and son took one sip and asked for it to be diluted with unsweetened tea.

We ate at this place in White, Georgia:


























I did not have Lynn's Fried Cheesecake - but I did have a pimiento cheese sandwich on white bread that was heavenly and turned me into an 8-year-old again.

Alas, this place was closed:















The owner's name is really Reverend Colonel Poole. You can have your name painted on a pig for the Pig Hill of Fame:























I ate grits and biscuits but, alas, no hushpuppies or boiled peanuts. (I only saw a sign for boiled peanuts once. They are everywhere in Georgia and South Carolina.)

So, that's my culinary roadtrip. Hungry?

2 comments:

❀ Stacy DeKeyser said...

Barbara, where was the pig hall of fame?? I swear to God I've driven past there!

Barbara O'Connor said...

Ellijay, Georgia.