Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Great editors

In the book Off the Page: Writers Talk About Beginnings, Endings, and Everything in Between, author Claire Tristram said:

It was just the most lovely feeling to have someone tell me what I had hoped I had written. Then he made me work very hard. But all the time I felt he was helping me write the book I wanted to write, rather than what he would want me to write.

I totally get that.

I have one of the best editors in the business (Frances Foster).

I could list 345 reasons why she is a great editor, but for now, I'll just tell you one:

She helps me write the book I want to write, not the book she wants me to write.

I'm so lucky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh lucky you for having Frances and lucky us for getting your wonderful books as a result.