Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ann Reit

I just learned the news of the death of Ann Reit, longtime editor at Scholastic.

Ann played a key role in my writing career.

I was in a critique group with Leslie Guccione, who, at the time, was writing for Scholastic. Ann was her editor.

Leslie offered to send my manuscript of Beethoven in Paradise to Ann.

Ann liked it and asked if I would be willing to work with her on revisions.

Duh!

Of course I was willing to work with her on revisions!

We fiddled around with the manuscript for about a year.

Finally, Ann called and said it just wasn't working. The book wasn't right for Scholastic. I should get an agent.

She offered to make a call to an agent for me.

On Ann's recommendation, the agent agreed to take me on.

That agent sold Beethoven in Paradise to Frances Foster at Farrar, Straus & Giroux.

That was about 13 years ago.

I still have that wonderful agent and am still publishing books with Frances at FSG.

So - I will always be grateful to Ann Reit.

No comments: