Monday, May 14, 2007

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I'm not one of those authors who is superstitious about discussing a new book idea or a work in progress.

But sometimes, I just don't know enough about it to even talk about it. It's like trying to describe a dream to someone - when some things are kinda hazy.

I'm still in the hazy place with my new one - but one thing is for sure. I can never ever start a book without a title. AND, most of the time I have the title before I have the story. For instance, with Moonpie and Ivy, that's what I started with and only that. I had no idea who Moonpie and Ivy were.

AND, I never ever change a title. I'm always fascinated when authors do that - or, even more fascinated when they write the whole book with no title!

For me, the title is the very essence of the book. It is the heart and soul of the book, in some ways. The story would have no heartbeat without the title.

For me.

I know every author works differently.

So, with that said, here is my new title: The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis.

Now, here's where I am with that: I know who Popeye and Elvis are. I have a very clear image of them and the other secondary characters.

I'm just not too clear on the small adventure part (the, um, PLOT).

So I'm wondering, for most writers, which comes first: the story or the title? The chicken or the egg?




1 comment:

Erin said...

I usually don't think of the title until I've completed the first draft. Sometimes I think of it part-way through, though.

So for me story comes first. :)