Monday, July 9, 2007

Conversation with myself

Lousy-writer me: I just wrote this scene that was, like, so much fun. These two characters are playing in a creek.

The other me: So what?

Lousy-writer me: Well, I mean, they're playing in this creek. And they're catching crawdads and minnows and all.

The other me: So what?

Lousy-writer me: There's this great dialogue. It's really funny and sort of character-developing.

The other me: So what?

Lousy-writer me: There's some really good descriptions of the setting - ferns and rocks and running water.... The water's cold and gurgling - and the ferns are all green and ferny - and...

The other me: So what?

Lousy-writer me: I'm starting to hate you.

The other me: Oh, pipe down. Just answer this, would you? Does the scene have a purpose?

Lousy-writer me: Um, no.... but I like it. And I worked on it a long time.

The other me:Does the scene contribute to the story?

Lousy-writer me: No....but I like it.

The other me:Does the scene move the story forward?

Lousy-writer me: No...but...

The other me:If you ripped that scene to shreds and stuffed it down the garbage disposal, would anybody miss it?

Lousy-writer me: Alright, alright...I get the point.

And so, lousy-writer-me slinks away to jam three hours of her day down the garbage disposal.

No comments: